Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Biggest Loser Challenge



My friend, Heather, has organized a new year challenge for all who are interested in participating.  It's a weight loss challenge inspired by the show, The Biggest Loser.  It's THE greatest show on television...in my opinion.  This season has the biggest contestants in history and they've added a few new twists to make things a little more interesting.  The new season started yesterday, and just in time to motivate me to get my ass in gear...literally.  I haven't missed an episode over the past few seasons.  Actually, I really want to buy the first few seasons on DVD since I was a little late jumping on the bandwagon.  I'm always so pumped to work off calories after each show I watch.  Watching last night was the reason I was able to roll out of bed this morning at 5am and run 3 miles.  Everytime I'm too close to backing out and being lazy, I visualize all of those obese people who are biting the bullet and pushing themselves to their limits.  If they can do it, I can do it.  I also picture these 2 old men (60s) that walk around the Rose Bowl (3 miles) around 4 or 5 am, like 3 times everyday!  If THEY can do it, I can do it.  People inspire me.  I want to inspire people, too.




OUR challenge is this: beginning January 5th (2 days ago) you weigh yourself and email the pounds to Heather.  This is done every Monday at the same time of day to ensure a consistant weight over the next 3 months of exercise and hard work, until March 30th.  She calculates the percentage of weight you've lost each week and then notifies the rest of the participants with everyone's progress via email.  Our actual weight remains unknown until the final weigh in.  We also inform her of our ultimate weight goal; mine is to lose 25 lbs!  That may be a bit of a stretch but I think I can do it.  It averages about 2 lbs each week.  There are now 14 players, each putting $40 into the pot.  At the end, whoever has lost the most percentage of weight wins $520!!!  The runner up gets their $40 back.  I'm TOTALLY excited for this.  To help keep my eye on the prize I've begun to write little reminders on post-its to stick all over my...life; bedroom, kitchen, bathroom, my classroom at work, in my car...maybe even stick one on a cat!

         Wish me luck!!!!!

2 comments:

Relyn Lawson said...

LUCK!! Lots of luck. What an amazing idea.

Momista Beginnings said...

THANK YOU!!! Not my idea, but I'm so glad to be a part of it! I appreciate the support =)