Sunday, January 31, 2010

Arboretum

Yesterday, Dom took me on my first trip to the Arboretum. He's had a year pass that allows him and 4 other guests in for free and yet for some reason we have yet to go! Silly, really. I had a great day with him walking through beautiful landscapes, gardens and by ponds and peaceful scenery. Comfortable shoes are a must because there is a lot of walking..hmm I prefer strolling. You also must bring some old bread to feed the ducks and geese. There's Dom on the bench, and it's blurry but the bottom pic is me feeding one duck that felt very comfortable eating from my hand. Their "QUACK" was more like a "HONK."

This red-eyed guy was very set and focused on scoping out the fish in the pond until he found just the right one to swoop down on and EAT. Peacocks also populate the grounds. They're crazy beautiful.
I stumbled into a mess of bamboo (I think?) trees to hide from Dom while he was in the bathroom. I discovered that almost all of them had names and messages carved in them from couples in love. It was really sweet. Some had been carved 5 years ago, and I wondered where all of these lovebirds are now, and if they're still together, and do they still carve their love on trees.
I love water. I love lakes, ponds, pools, oceans, WATERFALLS. It's soothing to me. I also love how my new camera captures moving water.
Bird watching. And feeding the rest of our bread.

This brought back memories from art classes at San Diego state where our class would be out on campus by ponds or by other interesting settings. I loved drawing what was around me and this made me miss doing it.
Dominic was just getting over being sick and my feet were starting to hurt so we didn't make it through the whole park, but it was a beautiful day to be enjoying nature and each other's company.

0 comments: